Helping alleviate hunger across Canada is a cause Purolator employees care deeply about. For the 14th consecutive year – through the employee-initiated Purolator Tackle Hunger® (PTH) program – our employees, partners, agents and customers donated their time, food and money to help food banks support our communities. Thanks to their selfless efforts, they helped raise more than 1.65 million pounds of food in 2016.
Delivering for the community meant that food banks across Canada would be better able to support the over 800,000 Canadians who rely on them every month.
Below are just a few examples of how PTH came through for the community:
Tackling hunger: Partnership in action
Purolator and its partners – including the Canadian Football League (CFL), Toronto FC and Ottawa Fury FC and their fans – raised awareness about the issue of hunger in Canada and collected donations through various activities that included Game Day Food Drives.
In November 2016, Purolator developed two videos to promote our PTH program:
- Premiering at the 2016 CFL Commissioner’s Brunch in Toronto, our Purolator Tackle Hunger 2016 video highlighted the tremendous work, our employees, partners and customers are doing to alleviate hunger in local communities. Find out more about how we work with the CFL each year to support communities across Canada by clicking here.
- Our second video provides viewers with an inside look of what goes into delivering a promise for one of the food banks we support. Follow the journey of a package and watch our video, Delivering promises over the holidays.
Tackling hunger: Purolator employee and community initiatives
- Purolator Tackle Hunger Week
During the first week of June, Purolator held fundraising events across the country to raise food and funds and awareness during PTH Week. Employees and customers raised nearly 231,000 pounds of food. That week we also encouraged Canadians to help raise awareness of hunger in Canada through social media. For every Like of our Facebook page, Like/Share of our PTH-related posts on Facebook or tweet using #TackleHunger, Purolator donated one pound of food to food banks across Canada. Through this campaign alone, we raised close to 15,000 pounds.
- The Great Purolator Food Fight
Following PTH Week, to sustain the campaign throughout the year, an employee challenge called the Great Purolator Food Fight, encouraged employees to raise donations through events, company-wide contests and various fundraising initiatives. In year two of this challenge, our employees responded by getting into the competitive spirit. For example, through the PTH Online Holiday Auction employees bid on everything from Toronto Raptors tickets to a barbecue grill. The bidding frenzy helped raise the equivalent of more than 20,000 pounds of food.
- Truck donations to benefit local food banks and food organizations
Another key element of the PTH program is the donation of delivery vehicles. This year, Purolator donated two refurbished delivery vehicles to food banks in Bathurst, N.B.; and Regina, Sask.
These initiatives helped to mark 2016 as another successful year for the PTH program. Since PTH’s inception in 2003, donations have increased every year and have helped deliver the equivalent of more than 10.5 million pounds of food to food banks across Canada.