Historic investment is part of a growth and innovation strategy to help businesses and consumers benefit from dynamic market shifts, creating 2,500 jobs
TORONTO, JUNE 25, 2019 – Spurred by record volume and e-commerce growth, Purolator today announced its plan to invest more than $1 billion through a five-year delivering the future growth and innovation strategy. The announcement builds on the company’s longstanding commitment to deliver unmatched service and ensures it remains at the forefront of the rapidly changing expectations of businesses, consumers and employees.
“Today’s announcement is one of the most ambitious in our company’s history and will future-proof our business,” said John Ferguson, President and CEO, Purolator. “Purolator has experienced record growth over the past three years. We picked up and delivered over one-quarter of a billion packages in 2018 and we expect our growth trajectory to continue. We have consistently evolved over our 60 years to stay one step ahead of change and this investment will solidify our position to deliver the future for generations to come, creating opportunities at home, across North America and around the world for businesses, consumers and employees.”
In recent years, dynamic market shifts driven by e-commerce and technology have changed the way businesses and consumers buy, sell and exchange goods. E-commerce sales are expected to reach $4.88 trillion worldwide by 2021. In the age of convenience, consumers want their packages faster with more visibility, control and flexibility throughout the supply chain. Businesses are following this trend. Trading relationships are shifting around the globe, creating new opportunities for businesses of all sizes to expand to, from and within Canada.
Purolator’s $1B delivering the future growth and innovation investment plan is focused on four key areas:
- Transforming our network and fleet
- Accelerating the digital experience for our customers
- Creating the safest and best place to work
- Driving growth for businesses of all sizes throughout North America and globally
The company’s national investments include:
- New national super hub: The centrepiece of Purolator’s growth and innovation investment is a new $330 million, 430,000-sq-ft national hub set on 60-acres in Toronto, ON set to open in 2021. The facility will triple capacity and step-change Purolator’s network with world-class automation to help more customers get even more packages to their destinations quickly, safely and reliably. The new national super hub will provide flexibility for growth and will be scalable to optimize customer delivery during peak volume periods. It will be built to leading environmental standards, following the Toronto Green Standards program.
- Job creation and training: Purolator has created 2,500 new jobs over the past three years, an increase in its workforce of 20 percent. The company expects this trend to continue. It is making significant investments in employee training, learning and development, and diversity and inclusion to provide rewarding, long-term careers as a great Canadian employer.
- Fleet upgrades: In 2019 and 2020, more than 1,000 new vehicles with advanced technology will be introduced across the country to improve delivery performance and safety. Purolator will continue to advance sustainability throughout its operations, including maintaining its position as the express courier company with the largest green fleet in Canada. It plans to roll out its first wave of fully electric vehicles in 2020 to complement its hybrid electric fleet.
- Consumer access strategy: The company is adding more consumer access points across Canada and enhancing its retail network. This includes upgrading high-traffic stores in large urban centres, expanding its Mobile Quick Stop service – which acts as retail outlets on wheels – and piloting new last-mile pick-up and delivery options for consumers offering more flexibility and choice.
The GTA is projected to be the province’s fastest-growing region, passing the 50 per cent mark of Ontario’s population by 2026. Purolator operates the most extensive courier network in the region and the company’s investments will build on its leading capabilities to provide businesses and consumers with even more delivery and pick-up options. They include:
- State-of-the-art GTA terminal: An $8.5 million, 110,000-sq-ft terminal in North York will add up to 135 delivery routes and sustain 200 jobs through a combination of new and existing positions. The terminal will open in September 2019 in time for peak season.
- More consumer access points and innovative delivery pilots: The company is expanding its Mobile Quick Stop service, more than doubling the number of trucks in the region. It is also piloting electric cargo bikes and urban self-serve parcel lockers in Toronto’s downtown core, making package delivery and pick-up more efficient and convenient.
Additional regional expansions will be announced across Canada over the next 12 months.
Purolator Inc. is a leading integrated freight, package and logistics solutions provider in Canada. Celebrating almost 60 years of delivering its customers' promises, Purolator continues to expand its reach and renowned service levels and reliability to more people, more businesses and more places across the country and around the world. Purolator is proud of its Canadian heritage and is focused on sustainably positioning itself for future growth and success. Purolator is also committed to contributing to the well-being of the communities it serves and where more than 12,000 of its employees live, work and play. For more information, visit purolator.com.
Media requiring further information, please contact:
Dave Bauer, Head of Corporate Communications, Purolator